Building Background Knowledge for Academic Achievement, by Robert Marzano is a book study that teachers will meet three times before December Break.
Readers will learn:
1. The principals that underlie an effective sustained silent reading program
2. A five step process for using sustained silent reading to enhance background knowledge.
3. The defining characteristics of effective vocabulary instruction.
4. A six-step process for direct instruction in vocabulary in each discipline.
5. The vocabulary terms critical to students' success in every academic subject.